Writing in BusinessWeek, Claudia Lacy Kelly, the global practice leader of Spencer Stuart's Human Resources Practice, outlines key questions that corporate directors should ask about talent management.
The questions are:
- What succession-planning process is in place for the senior executive level (CEO, CFO, CIO, CHRO and business-unit leaders)?
- How does the company assess the competence of its senior executives and the people immediately below them?
- How much time do senior executives spend succession planning at the top level?
- Who is responsible for leadership/career development and succession planning below CEO level?
- How is the company dealing with global workforce planning, where are the talent gaps for the next five years, and how will they be filled?
- Is the company doing enough to retain mission-critical and high-potential talent?
- Does HR have the critical leadership necessary to address these key questions?